Helping Our Clients with Wisdom Teeth Removal in Melbourne
Professional, knowledgeable, highly-trained and dedicated: That’s what our team at Hawthorn East Dental is to our clients. Through a variety of procedures, such as wisdom teeth extraction and more in Melbourne, we aim to improve the lives – and the smiles – of our clients.
Wisdom teeth removal and extraction may seem like a rite of passage, especially if you’re 12-21 years of age. But the truth is that this procedure is not necessary for everyone.
Even among the clients who do see their wisdom teeth visible through their gums, many end up choosing the procedure after having educated themselves thoroughly on their options — and they come to us because the eruption is starting to get painful.
Also called ‘third molars’, these late-breaking teeth are often impacted — which means these teeth would like to push all the way through but they’re trapped in the jawbone. There’s just not enough room for them in the mouth.
Cue, pain and discomfort.
Feeling pain and discomfort in the back of your jaw? It might be time for wisdom teeth extraction procedure. Contact the team of dental professionals at Hawthorn East Dental to schedule a consult today!
‘Third molars’ or wisdom teeth are slow to erupt but fast to cause pain — you may not even know they’ve come through until you’re chewing or feel a flash of sudden and severe discomfort within.
That’s probably the sign that your wisdom teeth are crowding your already-present set of teeth and have become cramped. This also causes them to grow at odd angles or worse still, remain trapped just below the gumline, making you feel tender and sore for days.
In worst case scenarios, these lingering teeth can be prone to decay because of their position.
So how do you know if you’ll be struck by the problem of impacted wisdom teeth?
So how do you know if you’re the right candidate for wisdom teeth removal in Melbourne? By speaking to our team!
At Hawthorn East Dental, we combine the latest technology with our highly-trained team of professionals and their breadth of experience to constantly monitor the state and progression of your dental health in Melbourne. Using our onsite OPG machine and digital X-ray technology, we’ll build a full medical history of your teeth and the state of your dental health.
We can anticipate with great precision if you’ll need an early removal or if you’ll need close monitoring, a special cleaning or even light medication.
Book an examination appointment as early as you can at our Hawthorn East dental office today and let our team help you get your dental health straight!
An Uncomplicated and Safe Wisdom Teeth Extraction Procedure in Melbourne
Our procedure is a standard but finely-honed procedure, adjusted for our patients’ particular medical and dental history.
A standard wisdom teeth extraction procedure in Melbourne begins with a consultation followed by surgery in our office.
Here’s what you can expect:
- We’ll carefully assess your OPG or CBCT scans for your diagnosis and we’ll discuss our proposed treatment with you, answering any questions you need and walking you through what you’ll need to prepare for
- We’ll also be upfront and transparent with you about the risks that come with any surgery so you can make the best decision for you
- This is the point at which if you have any questions or concerns to ask our warm and friendly dental staff!
- Our team will conduct the wisdom teeth extraction surgery using either local anaesthetic or general anaesthetic
Your second visit will go something like this:
- A member of our dental team will gain your Informed consent and give you some key post operative instructions
- Sit back, relax and we’ll work on your wisdom teeth removal. In the meantime, you’ve got your choice of movies — Netflix session, anyone?
- Once you’re done, it’s normal to feel topical numbness. While you’re free of any distracting soreness, we’ll provide you with a written set of post-op instructions, along with some spare gauze to help you keep everything healing the way it should
Easy, right? Wisdom teeth extraction by our team of dental professionals at Hawthorn East Dental is safe, reliable and relaxing!
The post-op procedure is because we love to make sure our clients are healing as expected:
- We’ll schedule an appointment between one to two weeks after your surgery to check on your progress
- If you’ve had stitches, we’ll be removing those. We may also prescribe some painkillers so be sure to let us know on your levels of pain and soreness
What to Expect After Surgery
Remember, we’ll be walking through the entire post-op process during your first and second visit. The recovery period only lasts for a couple of days but here are a few important tips to keep in mind:
- If you’ve been prescribed painkillers, make sure to take these at the prescribed intervals
- Call your dentist or oral surgeon if you still have bleeding 24 hours after your surgery. Please try to relax, avoiding major physical activity for the first few days because this could increase bleeding
- Use an ice pack on the outside of your cheek and apply for 15 to 20 minutes at a time for the first 24 hours. You can use also a face-cloth soaked in warm water to soothe the swelling in the next few days
- Once 24 days have passed, rinse your mouth with a warm saltwater solution. Do this several times a day to decrease swelling and help with the residual pain. Remember not to rinse too hard as this can delay healing.
Contact the professional team at Hawthorn East Dental Today
Because the wisdom teeth removal process can be a nerve-wracking one (no pun intended!), we aim to serve you with transparency and empathy.
If you’re in the Melbourne area, learn more about how Hawthorn East Dental clinic approaches the practice and their clients just a little differently — and this makes all the difference.
Ready to book an appointment? Click here to schedule a consult or contact us for more information!